Friday, April 26, 2013

Dr. Peat vs. Dr. Servan-Schreiber, SOS Medecins, Dr. Gershon and Oysters

So what if Dr. Peat had cancer... I read Dr. David Servan-Schreiber's book "Anticancer" precisely because he was a cancer survivor. He had brain cancer at 31, survived for 20 years with a diet rich in vegetables, fish, vegetable oils, curcuma, green tea. I guess one might say that his views are quite the opposite of Dr. Peat's.

It would be interesting to know when did Dr. Peat have his terrible encounter with cancer, but if he did not make that public, it is his choice, I guess.

I know that one cannot compare these diseases, least of all someone without a medical education like myself, but still, if Dr. Peat didn't have any more issues after a diet such as his, his very state of health might be interpreted as a sign that Dr. Servan-Schreiber's diet may not be the answer and it would be really too bad that it has become the norm in the fight against cancer?

I will be seeing my doctor again, after two episodes of ... I don't know what that was. Generalized numbness. My blood glucose was 135 during the first episode. I ended up calling SOS Medecins (an association of doctors doing house calls for emergencies, very cool).  I did not impress the doctor who came, he bet on a magnesium deficiency and panic attack and said the blood glucose had gone up because I got scared. Of course I got scared. Here I was, reading peacefully, when I realize something is funny. The tips of my hands cannot feel the page, the soles of my feet cannot feel the ground... I scratch my head and cannot feel the roots of my hair, touch my face, cannot feel the fingers on it... Good Lord!

The next day it happened again, at the same time, around 5 p.m. and it lasted even longer, almost until I fell asleep.

Yesterday I tried a "trick". In the morning, I didn't take my 37.5 mcg of T4, nor any other supplements except  magnesium and 5 o'clock came and went without funny feelings. I took the T4 at night, as Dr. Peat advises, to improve sleep and counteract the TSH on the rise. As I type this, the back of my hands feel sort of numb. The face too, a bit. This is stupid. One and a half hour to go till I see my doctor. I can drive and walk, just that everything is bizarre. For instance, if I clench my fists together real hard, I can only feel some pain in the muscles, next to the bones, but no sensation on the skin.

I started reading Dr. Michael Gershon's book "The Second Brain -Your Gut Has A Mind of His Own". Excellent!

But it took away all desire to eat oysters, just as I had made up my mind to not let another week go by without eating at least a dozen.

(Do all these wonderful experts have to contradict each other with equal persuasion? How come Ray Peat, who is so careful about toxins, recommends oysters, despite their being these natural filters of filth next to our shores?)

Reading Gershon's story about that one sailor taking a dump in the sea during oyster harvesting and then getting so many people sick with the same bug he was carrying, all traceable back to him, cured all desire of fresh oysters I might have had. And his comments about the globalized food market and the handlers of food and the differences in microbial flora and the way things work at the colon's level made me contemplate with remorse the reckless food habits I had during my trips to SE Asia or even the forays to the local Asian markets. Just because the local people could eat all that wonderful food without any health issues did not mean I was supposed to, as well.

Who knows what is going on with me...




2 comments:

  1. Il semblerait que vous soyez française, j'aimerais beaucoup discuter avec vous du travail de Ray Peat, j'ai de grosses difficultés à trouver des interlocuteurs francophones à ce sujet!
    Je ne sais pas comment vous contacter autrement que par ce biais.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je serai aussi interressé de discuter avec vous. Il n'y a apparemment pas de forum francais sur le teavail de Ray peat.

      Delete